Wednesday, February 14, 2007

supermarket trip: Ecology and Ecomomy

The two lenses that I chose to think about while looking around the supermarket were ecological and economical aspects of food. I first observed the difference in price between Organic/all-natural foods and regular food containing antibiotics, pesticides, and growth hormones.
These are my findings

Organic Milk-$4.99
Reg. Milk- $2.99

All-natural sausage- $5.99
Reg. sausage- $2.99

Organic tea- $3.29
Reg. tea- $3.19

Organic apples- $2.99/lb
Reg. apples- $1.79-1.99/lb

I expected to see that the organic food was more expensive but the limited selection of certified organic products was disappointing compared to "The Food Emporium" where my parents and I shop.
One man who worked there was very familiar with organic fruits and vegetables, but almost laughed at me when I asked about organic chicken. The price of the chicken was also shocking; fewer than six dollars for a once alive animal, which means that the supermarket had to get it for three dollars at least which means the farmer who rose the chickens made what? Two dollars if he or she was lucky, how can a chicken be raised for two dollars, let alone make a profit off it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Juggleandhope said...

Jake,

This is strong work.

I really agree with you about the incredible low price of the chicken corpses. I guess this is why the chicken corporations cram more and more chickens into the cages. Marx predicted that every commodity would have to be produced in larger and larger factories, because the largest factories can produce each one slightly cheaper, and put the smaller factories out of business.

8:24 PM, March 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home